Surprise!: An Extracurricular Activities Fic: Chapter 3

Day 1: July

Urk. One more day until the party. I'm nervous.  I've got a lot to do to prepare. But I have all morning to make sure everything is ready for tomorrow. At least they had generic birthday signs and balloons that I can use. I'm going to be staying at Chester's tonight. I've been trying to take time to get things done, and keep up with spending time with Chester, and I… don't think he's the wiser - I hope he'll be surprised. Fingers crossed.



I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, seized with nerves. Gah. I've never planned a party like this before - I hope I didn't forget anything. 

I hear rapid knocking on my door, and sit up. "Come in?"

Maria ducks her head inside, and grins. "Ah! You're awake."

I rub my face. "Yeah. I'm awake. I'm… just hoping I didn't forget anything. I … want the party to go great tomorrow."

Maria sidles inside, and grins wide. "It will! It's not that difficult to throw a party - you have your basic needs - Food, Drink, Guests, and a place to hold it. And Gifts, however not entirely necessary, I believe Chester will appreciate them."

She walks up to me and pats me on the shoulder. "You have practice today, don't you?"

I nod thoughtfully. "And, I have a feeling that Chester would like me to stay the night again, but - I'm not sure if I have time. I still have to put all the food together."

Maria chuckles. "Ah, young love. You do have time now. I'll help you if it's needed, but I believe the spaghetti should be made by you."

I slide out of bed, and stretch a bit. "You're right. I should at least get the main dish made and ready to be baked for tomorrow."

She nods. "I'll go get the ingredients out for you. Take a few minutes to clean up."

I wash up, and head to the kitchen. Maria's already there with everything laid out. I start busying myself, and it's not until after I've made the second batch that I hadn't looked at the recipe at all. I stop mid-motion, and chuckle to myself. Then I cover the second dish with foil.

I make a third batch to make sure there's plenty to go around. Thankfully I already made three batches of those cookies a few days ago. They're wrapped in parchment to ensure freshness in the freezer, and stored in zip bags. So, there is no worry about needing to take extra time to make more today. The first batch of ice cream cookies were a humongous hit among the Shelter denizens. I am positive that Chester is going to love them.

Maria, meanwhile, has been baking fresh rolls, and dicing and chopping vegetables, then packing them into containers for tomorrow.

Once the third batch is in the fridge, I take a deep breath of relief and exhaustion. "Damn. I know it's easy to make those, but…"

Maria looks over at me and chuckles. "Yes. It is a lot of preparation, but you want to make your guests happy."

I nod at her. "Yeah. What time is it?"

She looks at the oven, and speaks, a hint of surprise in her voice. "Oh. It's 1! You should probably clean up for practice. I'll put the rest of it away for you."

I frown. "Are you sure you don't want my help? It might go quicker?"

Maria waves my suggestion aside. "Go on! Don't worry about it, and get ready. Don't forget to pack something for tomorrow."

I take a quick glance around, hesitating a moment, but when Maria shoots me another glare, I hurriedly leave.

Cleaning up only takes me 20 minutes, then I pull my tennis bag onto my bed, opening it. "Right. I guess I should pack something for tonight and tomorrow." I put in a couple of Chester's underwear, although I have a feeling he'd rather me keep it. Not that I really mind…

I also throw in somewhat dressy shorts and a shirt for tomorrow, and casual wear for tonight. Thankfully we don't have to worry about practice tomorrow. I get dressed, and leave. Practice is uneventful again, except for being told that we're going to be playing next week with another rival school. We practice hard, and I head over to Chester's for the night. I'm too tense, thinking about tomorrow, that I decide it's probably better to stay in my underwear despite the bull's protestations, and teasing. He does massage my shoulders, getting me to relax before we sleep.

(Previous Chapter) (Next Chapter)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grizzly Science - Ch. 1